Tucker, GA 30084
We are in search of a Paralegal for our Decatur location. The candidate will provide administrative, litigation, and research support to attorneys in criminal and civil matters including anti-gang case investigation, charging, and prosecution.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Researches, reviews, and drafts criminal and civil legal documents; prepares answers to discovery requests, pleadings, prepares case/research binders
- Reviews investigative case files and attachments
- Conducts cite checks of legal motions and briefs; Pulls court documents from dockets
- Files legal documents and court papers with various courts and online court systems
- Reviews indictments, case files, and other filings to evaluate the need for the attorneys involvement in cases
- Serves as communication liaison between the attorneys and law enforcement, prosecution, attorneys, courts and witnesses
- Performs legal research, including analyzing rules, regulations, case law, and statutory law
- Maintains records on the status and deadlines associated with cases; tracks case status
- Tracks and provides statistics associated with cases
- Maintains, organizes and indexes files
- Prepares a variety of correspondence on behalf of the attorneys
- Responds to inquiries received from law enforcement and prosecution partners, defense counsel, courts, witnesses, and on behalf of the attorneys
- Attends meetings as required (May maintain legal research/ library resources, attend and assist attorney with hearings and meetings with law enforcement and prosecution partners, defense counsel, and witnesses, and provide guidance or training to less experienced paralegals or other staff)
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Must maintain confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements regarding cases and paperwork associated therein.
A paralegal certificate, diploma or degree, OR An associate s degree (non-paralegal) and 1 year of paralegal experience, OR Three years of documented paralegal experience; AND the ability to type, exhibits high level of attention to detail and strong communication skills.
Specific paralegal experience as needed by the area of law where the position works (see above).