Atlanta, GA 30303
Under broad supervision, performs or oversees the development, implementation and monitoring of accounting activity for a department or agency. Analyzes financial information and programs, identifies financial trends, makes recommendations to management and prepares a full range of financial reports, including specialized or non-standard reports.
Performs accounting function for the general ledger section within the Division of Finance, Office of Financial Services. Serves as a liaison between the general ledger section and other sections within the department.
1. Performs job responsibilities with minimal supervision
2. Serves as a job expert or organization resource in assigned area
3.Prepare and review supporting documentation for all journal entries
4. Ensure that all entries are processed timely and accurately in the financial system
5. Performs daily and monthly reconciliations for bank accounts and sub-ledgers
6.Researches variances and prepare adjusting entries as needed
7. Reviews financial reports for completeness and accuracy
8. Complete monthly fixed asset reconciliation
9. Complete the quarterly allocation for indirect costs and assists with the preparation of the cost allocation plan
10. Complete monthly, quarterly, and year-end closing activities
11. Complete assigned year-end financial reports within the established deadlines
12. Assist with updating departmental policies and procedures for related area
13.Maintains well organized files for supporting documentation and general ledger files
14. Maintains comprehensive knowledge of State Accounting Office (SAO) policies and procedures for assigned area
15.Ensures that duties are performed in accordance with established internal controls and guidelines
16. Prepare ad hoc reports as needed
17.Other duties as assigned
Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel (Pivot Tables), excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work in a team environment.
Knowledge of general accounting principles and standards
Understanding of federal and state accounting policies and procedures
Understanding of elements of an effective internal control system
Ability to prepare, analyze, interpret spreadsheets, and other financial reports
Effectively communicates results/outcomes with management
Ability to organize and present financial information in a useful and easily understandable format
Master' s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university AND One year of professional accounting experience OR Bachelor' s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university AND Two years of professional accounting experience OR Bachelor' s degree in a business curriculum which included completion of introductory and intermediate accounting sequence from an accredited college or university AND Three years of professional accounting experience. Note: Some positions may require certifications.
Previous experience with federal grant awards
Previous public sector or non-profit experience