Environmental Services Supervisor
Essential Job Functions
- Supervises the enforcement of the City Code, Chapter 5-8, Federal EPA, city, and state regulations for solid waste operations.
- Periodically interfaces with a variety of solid waste contractors to oversee safe and efficient operations and transport.
- Plans, schedules and supervises a work unit of employees who provide collection of contained or uncontained refuse.
- Develops and conducts training programs for foremen and refuse container crews.
- Investigates and responds to questions from citizens or staff from City Council, City Manager s Office, other city departments, and outside agencies regarding enforcement issues.
- Analyzes and reports on contractor performance for services stipulated in various contract.
- Investigates and reports on accidents involving employees and/or equipment.
- Coordinates with Fleet Supervisor to ensure scheduled maintenance is performed
- Interprets and explains departmental policies, procedures and programs to customers and employees.
- Participates in budget development.
- Collects data and writes reports to illustrate performance level and to increase customer service.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
- Demonstrates superior, seamless customer service, integrity, and a commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity.
- High school diploma or GED and (5) years of experience supervising personnel at the foreperson or higher level in a similar environment and industry. Experience enforcing city ordinances of a similar nature is preferred. Other combinations of experience and education that are deemed equivalent to the minimum requirements may be substituted.
- Ability to use a Personal Computer and Microsoft Office Suite software, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and other applications as needed, to compose brief letters, complete job estimations and costing, budgeting and E-mail communications.
- Federal, state, and city employment law, requirements, practices and procedures.
- Federal, state, and city health and environmental codes.
- Effective supervisory practices and team building techniques.
- Solid waste management practices, including household hazardous waste and recycling.
- Hazardous waste response procedures.
- Customer service practices
- Modern office equipment and business practices, including the operation of a personal computer and MS Office Suite software.
- Supervise subordinate employees including interviewing, hiring, training, counseling, developing, disciplining, evaluating performance and work product, assigning of work, and providing input to Director and Assistant Director regarding possible termination.
- Identify and analyze problems, develop and present solutions, and oversee implementation.
- Instruct others in a classroom setting.
- Communicate effectively with customers via written correspondence, email, phone or face to face.
- Work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the outdoor elements.
- Produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper English sentence structure, punctuation and grammar.
- Work cooperatively with other employees and the public.
- Comprehend and make inferences from written material.
- Review and check the work products of others to ensure conformance to city and departmental standards.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20.00 /hour
- High school or equivalent
- Supervising: 5 years
- Environmental Services: 2 years